On August 8th, 2021, 365 days ago, my daily journal writing journey began, and I’ve never skipped a day.
How it began
In 2014, I collected my thoughts in a hardcover notebook … for 2 weeks. Why only for 2 weeks? … Because something intervened. As so often in life.
However, when I discovered this old book a year ago, I was amazed at how vividly I could still remember all the events that would otherwise have completely slipped my mind.
So I wanted to start again and do everything differently this time. I discovered Notion at that time – an app that made it really easy for me to take quick notes on my phone. If there’s one tool I always have with me, it’s my phone.
I created a simple template for myself with the most important questions that would do 3 things for me:
• Provide me with a designated time to reflect back on the day.
• Allow me to identify changes so I can optimize my life.
• Remind me of details that I would have otherwise forgotten.
Based on that, I created my prompts, which I answered every night before bed from then on. And what can I say. They provide me with so much value that I never missed a day – including the occasional 4 a.m. party.
Add-on: Habit Tracker
Then, six months ago, I added a Habit Tracker, which gives me a quick and easy overview of tasks I want to include on a day-to-day basis.
Add-on: Most Important Daily Goal
Two months ago, I added a very important question, “What do I want to achieve today and defend against everything?”
I answer this question already in the morning. It helps me maintain focus in the chaotic daily routine. It is unbelievable how accomplished I feel by noon, when I have already completed the most important task. Everything after that is icing on the cake.
I live more consciously, more focused and more grateful! I would like to share this feeling with you.
5 Benefits of writing a Daily Journal
- Focus: You create a place to find your No. 1 task of the day!
- Reflection: You allow the day to replay itself so you can process it.
Optimization: By analyzing successes and failures, you gradually steer your life in desired directions.
- Memories: It is incredibly awesome to revisit moments that would otherwise be lost.
- Writing Habit: You’ll become one of those rare people who actually create words every single day!
Grab the Notion template
Every day counts! I’ve created a template that you can get started with right away. Get it here: Josua’s Daily Journal Template